Sometimes one bite is all you need when you want a treat. These are perfect little brownies to take along, tuck into your lunchbag or serve with other delectables for afternoon tea. And just in case you didn’t realize it, brownies are 100% kid-friendly; these are also magically nutritious!
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 tablespoon flax meal
1 cup GF all-purpose flour
¼ cup potato starch
2 tablespoon arrowroot starch
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup organic cane sugar
½ cup Sucanat
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup coconut oil or canola oil
½ cup applesauce
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
½ cup hot coffee
¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray mini muffin pans or line with mini cupcake liners.
- Combine flax meal with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, potato starch, arrowroot, cocoa powder, sugar, Sucanat, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Add the canola oil, flax meal mixture, applesauce, vanilla, and hot coffee, and stir until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop the batter into each prepared mini-muffin tin.
- Bake the brownies on the centre rack for 10 minutes or until they have firm edges and soft centers. Don’t overbake these!
- Let the brownies cool for 10 minutes before serving; they are best served warm. To maintain freshness, leave brownies in tin until ready to serve.
Makes 36-40 mini brownies.
Note: Keep uneaten brownies in a sealed container in the freezer. Never in the fridge, as that will dry them out.