French toast is a Kindfood classic but it’s a challenging dish for cooks who are trying to make plant-based, gluten-free meals. Breakfast in general is difficult if you’re avoiding animal products. Erinn developed this recipe at home to satisfy Michael’s insatiable cravings for French toast; he missed it after he moved to a plant-based diet.
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
3/4 cup raw almond butter
1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon GF all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/3 cup maple syrup, plus more to serve
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt
8 slices GF vegan bread
4 tablespoons vegan butter
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond butter, non-dairy milk, flour, cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter and heat until it sizzles.
- Dip the bread into the almond butter mixture and let it soak briefly, for 10-15 seconds.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup and Cashew Whipped Cream or Coconut Whipped Cream
Makes 4 servings
Note: You can prepare the batter ahead of time and refrigerate it for 2-3 days.