This is a variation on our pancake recipe, for tender-crisp waffles that you can enjoy with sweet or savory toppings. Really! Try waffles piled high with garlic-sauteed greens, a mound of mashed potatoes and a ladleful of vegan gravy: you’ll be in comfort-food heaven.
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 cup GF all-purpose flour
1¼ cups brown rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon Sucanat
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 ½ cups plain coconut milk yogurt
1¼ cups almond milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, rice flour, baking soda, Sucanat and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the flax meal with 6 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken.
- In another small bowl, mix the chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken.
- In a large glass measuring cup or pitcher, mix the flax and chia mixtures with the yogurt, milk, oil, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until blended. Batter will be slightly thick, not runny.
- Heat a waffle iron on medium heat. Grease the iron. Add about ½ cup of batter (depending on the size of your waffle iron) and slowly close the lid.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until steam stops rising from the waffle iron. Remove and serve immediately.
Makes 12 waffles
Note: For savory waffles, omit the Sucanat from step 1.